1. Before we dive into your role at Flybuys, what has your career journey looked like so far?
I started my career with Samsung in brand marketing and activation. I was involved with the Samsung Note 4 campaign and my job involved communicating new campaigns to our retail partners.
2 years after graduating, I wanted to expand my skill set and learn more about data. My interest around data led me into taking a postgraduate degree in Business Analytics.
I was able to use my marketing and data knowledge in my next role at Streamotion – Kayo Sports and Binge as a Marketing Coordinator – Ad Tech & Measurement. My main role there is to support the teams by turning data into actionable insights.
2. Transitioning into work, what the heck does a Digital Data & MarTech Specialist @ Flybuys do?
What is Flybuys?
Flybuys is one of Australia’s largest loyalty programs with 28 years of history and over 8 million members. We partner with large brands which include Coles, Officeworks, Bunnings Warehouse, Kmart and Target.
What does your role entail?
One of the most powerful tools in a marketer’s armoury is data and you’ll be able to work with a lot of data in MarTech.
The role of MarTech can be broken into 3 parts:
- Track marketing campaigns, product offerings and activities on all our platforms
- Help targeting by audience creation
- Deliver insights to relevant teams within the business
I like variety and solving complex problems, hence the MarTech space encourages you to think outside the box sometimes which generates a lot of learnings.
3. What’s an example of a campaign that you’ve worked on and what was your role in bringing it to life?
Campaign: Digital Fuel Dockets
What was it?
Moving away from using paper receipts for fuel discount offers to a digital fuel docket that can be viewed and activated on the Flybuys app & website which can be redeemed at Coles Express.
What was your role?
- Track user actions and behaviour in app & web
- Support marketing campaigns that promotes this initiative
- Create campaign focused dashboards to generate insights
4. What do the entry level pathways into a MarTech role look like?
In terms of entry level roles for MarTech, I would say Marketing Coordinator or Marketing Assistant that focus on MarTech or AdTech.
There is a lot of data that is involved in Martech, so Junior Data Analyst is another pathway.
5. What’s one thing you recommend a young person who’s curious about MarTech do right now?
MarTech is a growing field, so there are a lot of opportunities in the market at the moment.
What I would do is research the companies that you are interested in joining and specifically look at what MarTech/AdTech tools they are using.
I highly recommend upskilling in tools such as Adobe and Google stacks.