1. Before we dive into your role at the ANZ, what has your career journey looked like so far?
My career journey hasn’t been a straight line – they never are! Hospitality is my first love, which meant I’d never worked in marketing until my third year of university in 2018 but have loved it ever since. Starting out as an intern at Contiki Holidays before jumping over to Germany for a few months.
After returning to Australia,I landed a contract role at WooliesX running email and social media campaigns end to end before starting my role at ANZ in early 2021.
2. Transitioning into work, what the heck does a Retail & Commercial Graduate @ ANZ do?
How does the grad program work for aspiring marketers?
There is no “marketing stream” explicitly when applying for ANZ. However, after serving the first 6 months of the program in a frontline role (eg: customer service) you’re able to pick and choose which teams you want to go into.
Hence, I chose the Retail & Commercial stream because it’s one of the largest in ANZ, covering the small businesses that the bank serves with a myriad of marketing teams. Making it more likely for me to be able to secure a marketing role for my second rotation.
What does your current rotational role look like?
As of late 2021 I’m currently in a 10 person marketing team dedicated to ANZ’s Private Bank & Advice team working through all proposition and strategy work. I focus on executing activities across the marketing funnel for the team’s target customer. Such activities consist:
- Assisting frontline team with any resources and tools to land new deals
- Running events (eg: seminars) to educate and network with target customers
- SEO work to raise organic traffic to important web pages
Overall, our primary goal (like any other marketing team) is make the frontline workers jobs easier to bring new deals over the line. By increasing how frequently we interact and build trust with our target market.
3. What’s an example of a campaign that you’ve worked on and what was your role in bringing it to life?
A great example of the marketing team assisting the frontline with a resource is the recent revamp of our Monthly Investment Update to all customers.
The Private Bank & Advice team targets wealthier clients so these investments give transparent updates on what the investment team has recently done, how it went and what they plan to do in future. However, we got the feedback that compared to ANZ’s competitors, the document didn’t meet expectations in terms of content and design.
What was your role?
I was fortunate enough to take ownership of the project from start to finish. Working with the Head of Advice and other Advice Directors to gather feedback on what customers liked and didn’t like to revamp the content. Then working with an external agency to re-design the look and feel of the pack.
4. What do the entry level pathways for a career in marketing at ANZ look like?
FI’d highly recommend applying for the Retail & Commercial stream in the Graduate Program as it covers most of ANZ and also houses the core brand/marketing team for the bank. Make it known that you have aspirations in marketing as soon as you enter the business, that’ll increase your chances of getting a 6 month rotation in a role you’re happy with.
5. What’s one thing you recommend an aspiring marketer do right now?
Start early! As soon as you can just get started with getting experience under your belt. It’ll help you understand:
- If you actually like working in marketing AND
- What part of marketing you enjoy working in