1. Before we dive into your role at Bonjoro, what has your career journey looked like so far
For the last ten years I have worked in the B2B SaaS world. I started in sales as an IC, then went to sales management and then into running growth (focusing around scaling through organic marketing-led initiatives). I have worked with SMBs and with some of the world’s largest brands (BMW, L’Oreal etc.)
I have worked for four tech start-ups in the 0-25m ARR range (Techvalidate, Codeware, Ontraport, Bonjoro).
In 2018 I launched a Kickstarter that I 800% funded and sold thousands of copies of a board game I developed across over 19 countries.
In 2019, I started getting into institutional consulting, working with some of the worldest largest private equity/venture capital teams from McKinsey to Blackrock.
In 2020 I launched Amplified masterclass, a course business that is about to cross six figures in revenue.
2. Transitioning into work, what the heck does the Head of Growth @ Bonjoro do?
What is Bonjoro?
Bonjoro is a personal video tool that allows brands to connect with customers through personal video emails at key moments and gather video testimonials.
How is the growth function structured?
Growth on our team encompasses both sales and marketing, but since our service is primarily self-serve (about 80%+ of our customers are self-serve), it’s more heavily marketing focused. I work directly alongside our CMO and both of us report to the CEO.
What does your role entail?
- Generating traffic through thought leadership (Last year for example I drove hundreds of attributed sales from Linkedin, Quora and Podcast guesting)
- Run partnership initiatives (integration, affiliate and collaborative projects)
- Run owned assets (our own podcast, my own newsletter etc.)
- Run creative/viral swings (like a movie we did with DP, or a creative short we built around our new product launch)
3. What’s a project you’ve worked with on in your currently role and how have you helped bring them to life?
Campaign Name: Operation ActiveCampaign
What was it?
We went from 300-400 mutual leads/customers to over 7,000 with ActiveCampaign by building into their product.
What was your role?
I contacted AC’s partnership team, set up the dialogue that led to the connection and then helped promote together via webinars, blogs and newsletter pieces.
4. What do the entry level pathways into growth in tech look like?
I tell folks that I mentor it starts with finding one channel that really works. For me that was podcast guesting. I got our team featured on about 20-30 podcasts that started to generate real traffic back to our homepage and then the team promoted me to Head of Growth and I started to look for more successful channels like that.
5. What’s one thing you recommend someone who wants to work in growth do right now?
Start experimenting with growth ideas and talking publicly about your experiments. When I started I would even spend my own money (just $30-40 here or there) to run ads. It gave me a constant flow of content to discuss.